This unnamed officer suffered a foot injury during his Civil War service, as evidenced by a related image.
Iowa-born and Oregon raised Roswell Hawks Lamson (1838-1903) graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1862. He was promoted to lieutenant, and commanded the gunboats Mount Washington, Gettysburg and Wilderness. In the latter vessel, he participated in the December 1864 attempt to destroy Fort Fisher using a boat loaded with 215 tons of gunpowder. The “powder boat” exploded, but did not damage the fort.
Lamson sat for this carte de visite in the Napoli, Italy, studio of Fratelli Alinar of Napoli. He resigned from the navy in 1866, and returned to Oregon.
This image is new to my collection, and is available on Pinterest, Tumblr, and Flickr.
“Orford Academy opened its doors in 1851. Tuition was $3 per term and some families paid with goods instead of cash,” notes Rivendell Trail History. “All students were expected to exhibit good moral behavior and attend church. Orford Academy, as a private school, closed its doors in 1871.The building remained empty until 1898. There were 14 students pursuing a high school degree in 1898 when the town took over the operations. After some difficult times, Orford High School opened up in 1926 as a teacher-training site for Plymouth and Keene State colleges. It began with just a sophomore and freshman class and added a class each year. It must have been an interesting experience for students as a new group of teachers arrived at the midyear mark. The only sense of consistency was provided by Ms. Gladys Twitchell, who served as the headmistress from 1926-1945. In 1949 the connection to Plymouth Teachers’ College ended, and the town debated whether to continue running Orford Academy as a town school or tuition students elsewhere. In 1950, the town voted to keep the high school and hired its first set of teachers.”
The Connecticut River Joint Commissions describes the old town section of Orford, N.H.: “The Historic District was the site of Orford’s first schoolhouse (1770), and two later schoolhouses (1785 & 1829, the latter being the only one of the three remaining, and now converted to a dwelling). Orford’s first Academy building (built 1796, burned about 1850) stood on the West Common. Unsuccessful as an Academy, it became a grade school where students as young as seven or eight wrestled with problems of Colburn’s Mental Arithmetic. A second Academy building (1851) is now the Orford High School. In 1898 the building was sold to the town and fitted out for a grammar school. It became the Orford High School in 1926. It stands on the southern end of the Ridge in the Historic District.”
The story of navy officer William Henry Hathorne and his experience on the gunboat Cincinnati was just published in the Civil War News, and is now is available on “Faces of War.” An excerpt:
Bache realized that his ship was finished. The crippled Cincinnati limped upstream and grounded along the shore. “The boat sank in about 3 fathoms of water, lies level, and can easily be raised. She lies within range of the enemy’s batteries,” Bache observed. (7)
The crew abandoned ship. When it was all over, Bache counted twenty-nine casualties, which included five killed, thirteen wounded, ten drowned, and one captured. Bache also included additional casualties from the Fifty-eighth Ohio Infantry. Soldiers from the regiment scrambled to rescue the sailors. One was wounded, and two drowned.
Acting Boatswain John F. Sullivan (center) started his navy career in 1850 as a sail maker and mate on the Bainbridge. He joined the crew of the screw sloop Narragansett after she was commissioned in 1859, and served on the vessel throughout the Civil War. The Narragansett spent the majority of her time on the West Coast, where she protected American mail steamers from Confederate raiders. In November 1864, Sullivan and his crew mates Paymaster’s Clerk Henry C. Jordan (left) and Acting Gunner William J. Dumont (right) took a break from their regular duties and posed for their carte de visite portrait in the Lima, Peru, studio of American painter and photographer Villroy L. Richardson.
A child is identified as Jesse Jefferson Martin in period pencil on the back of this carte de visite by G.D. Morse of San Francisco. Young Martin is dressed in a military-inspired outfit. His coat is adorned with brass buttons on the shoulders, collar, and cuffs. A handkerchief is tucked inside one pocket, and a watch chain with a fob shaped like a pistol hangs from the other pocket. He holds a toy musket that seems exact in all the details. A felt cap with a striped band and emblem lay on the floor next to him. This may be Jesse J. Martin (1861-1828) of California.
A girl with the hint of a smile wears a white dress wrapped with the Stars and Stripes. A second banner is attached to a stick that she grasps in her hand. Completing the costume is a liberty cap, which is emblematic of a slave’s manumission in ancient times and a symbol of freedom in young America. This carte de visite is from Morse’s Gallery of the Cumberland in Nashville, Tenn., circa 1864-1866.
A police officer armed with a truncheon stands for his portrait in the studio of photographer J.E. James in Utica, N.Y. The number “18” is visible on his cap. He protected the home front while 2.5 million Northern soldiers were off at war.